Surface Pro 3 Keyboard not Working usually when connecting Surface Pro 3 to the keyboard would not show up as connected and wouldn’t allow for typing or mouse use. Let’s follow simple steps to fix Surface Pro 3 Keyboard not Working in below:
Surface Pro 3 Keyboard not Working
- Turn on the surface and login.
- Attach the touch/type cover that’s not working
- Hold the Volume Up key (located on the left side) AND Power bottom (located on top right) for 30 seconds and then let it go. This will reboot the surface and force it to refresh all the drivers. This process is called “Two button reset”.
- Once you are back on the Login screen login and use the keyboard.
Surface Pro 3 Keyboard not Working Suddenly
- Shutdown your Surface pro 3.
- Press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons for, at least, 15 seconds.
- The screen may flash the Surface logo or other things but keep the buttons held for the 15 seconds.
- When you release them, your Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3 should be powered off. Wait at least 10 seconds and then turn it on normally.
Surface Pro 3 Keyboard Cover Spacebar does not work
The spacebar key on my Surface 3 Pro type cover keyboard initially did not work as expected. Key presses were often not registered, even though the button felt like it was being pressed correctly. The problem was especially noticeable when pressing on the far right side of the spacebar. The problem is that sometimes the (single) HW-switch, centered under the space bar, is not depressed far enough.
Instead of wasting time trying to get a replacement keyboard, I decided to try to fix the problem myself. Here is the procedure which solved the problem for me. Use it at your own risk.
Step 1: Remove the space bar from the keyboard.
Under the key a number of plastic clips attach to two metal rods. Carefully lift a corner of the key with a small knife or similar, and carefully pry loose the clips one by one. See picture below:
Step 2: Add a few layers of tape to the center area of the loosened space bar.
The idea is to make sure the switch under the space bar will be depressed a few fractions of a millimeter more on every key press. See picture below:
Step 3: Reattach the space bar to the keyboard.
Align the plastic clips with the metal rods, and gently press the key down until it snaps into place.
Surface Pro 3 Keyboard not Working Tilt
if your keyboard isn’t working (backlight doesn’t turn on, buttons and trackpad do nothing) and you’re not able to rotate the screen, do the two button reset.
By that, I mean, turn your system off. Then, press and hold volume up and then press and hold the power button. After a couple seconds you will see the keyboard flash. The system will remain off. Keep holding the buttons for an additional 15 seconds, then let go and then power your system back on. Fixed my problem.
I also reinstalled drivers, did a factory reset (wiping out everything, currently installing all my games and apps again), and the keyboard (surface type) didn’t work at all. I tried out new keyboards at a best buy, nothing worked. The two button reset saved me from sending this guy back to MS.